Friday, May 28, 2010

PCOS

Sooo...it is official...I have PCOS...or Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. They say I probably have always had it even before I got pregnant with Baylee but that after I had her the hormones really got thrown out of whack. It affects 5 - 10% of women of reproductive age. It has caused me to have problems with low female hormones, high male hormones which cause facial hair/mail hair, thinning hair, dark skin patches, excessive weight gain, inability to lose weight, insulin resistance, irregular periods/infertility, etc. He said it took so long to diagnose b/c they thought I had thyroid issues b/c my old doctor diagnosed me with that but the last two thyroid test came back normal. So blood work and a physical exam proved I had PCOS. It is sad b/c had we known earlier I wouldn't have had a miscarriage last year. He said when Brian gets home and I am still having problems then he will send me to an endocrinologist.

For now...treatment is birth control and glucophage (anti-diabetic drug). I also will be on a semi-diabetic diet. We shall see!!! I am sad that I have this but glad to finally have answers.

No comments: