Monday, May 08, 2006


Traci over at Mostly Precious Moments started a new column called "On the Menu Monday". I think it is a great idea to get some great recipes!
The recipe I decided to do is one of my hubbies favorites. I actually got it from my mom because she cooked it at home when I was younger and in turn she got it from someone at church. So I don't know where it originated but it is delicious! It is great for parties or can be served with a side salad as a meal!
Sausage Loaf

1 lb sausage (I use mild but you can use hot)
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon sage
2 cups mild cheddar cheese, grated
1 loaf French bread

  1. Brown sausage.
  2. Add onions and celery and cook until tender.
  3. Drain.
  4. Mix egg, milk, pepper, and sage.
  5. Slice off top of bread lengthwise and remove insides. (It should leave a hollow loaf - do not discard "insides")
  6. Add bread "insides"to egg mixture and sausage mixture and mix well. (Depending on how much of a hurry I am in I sometimes take the "insides" of the loaf and put them in the food processor to make crumbs!)
  7. Put the bottom of the loaf on foil and add mixture topped with cheese.
  8. Put top on this and brush with butter.
  9. Wrap in foil and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
  10. Slice (easier with an electric knife!) and serve hot!

7 comments:

Traci said...

Ahh, sausage loaf. I haven't had that in a long time. My mom used to make it all the time too. I made it a looonngg time ago, but I used canned chicken instead of sausage. It was ok, but the sausage is much better. I think I may have to make this soon. THanks for reminding me about it.

Sandra said...

ohhhh yum. Here I am trying to start a diet and now this great column comes along LOL

I have mine up too :)

Anonymous said...

Since I plan on actually trying this (sounds yummy), in step six - is the end result both the egg/bread mixture AND the sausage mixture get mixed together?

T!ff@ny said...

That is correct Mrs. Goldberry!

:-)

Hope you enjoy it!

Brenda said...

Dang, now I'm hungry again! That sounds soooooo good!

Joe said...

Wow, sounds good to me! Have a good week girl!

Nettie said...

This sounds delicious, and just the kind of thing my family would like. Thanks!