Monday, November 27, 2006

Is Santa Real? To Tell or Not To Tell

Saturday my daughter Baylee (she is 8 and in the 3rd grade) tells me, "Momma, Madison told me her parents said there was not santa claus and that the gifts come from them." I think oh no here we go. So the answer I gave her was this, "Baylee, you are a big girl now. You can belive whatever you want but I will tell you like Nana told me when I was little. If I stop believing in Santa I don't get gifts from him anymore - only gifts from my family." She said, "Okay I believe." That was the end of the conversation.

My mom never told me there was not a Santa and I still get gifts from "santa" at her house. I just don't know if I should tell her or not. I think when you know it takes some of the fun out of Christmas. What age did you find out? Or when did your kids find out? If you have/or decide to tell them what will you say?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, found you via Rocks in my Drier.
My 8 year old said the exact same thing last week and I gave her the same answer as you! Her 10 year old sister had squealed!

Joe said...

I found out the hard way, didn't like it at all! Use your on good judgment Girl! I'm back but no post yet!

Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

Do you know that tooth fairy exists?!... Wait Lady Luck too!

Brenda said...

I think we should let them believe as long as they will, it's part of being a child.

Now, a story.

A dear friend (departed now) once told me when his son was around 13, he'd remarked that if he didn't get what he wanted for Christmas he'd wait and ask the Easter Bunny for it. RJ sat him down, took him by the shoulders, and said, "Son, it's time to pop this huge balloon of yours. There is no Santa, there's no tooth fairy, and I shot the Easter Bunny when I went hunting last week."

Anonymous said...

What I tell the little grl I nannied for is that Santa only lives in the hearts of people who believe. If you don't believe in Santa, then to that person he doesn't exist. But I still believe in Santa and the magic of Christmas because I have had several holiday surprises and none of them being a material gift to open. Christmas is heartwarming. It represents unselfishness/giving. It represents family and happiness. I have good feelings during the holidays and Santa adds a little magic.

Desiree said...

Last year was the last time that all of my boys believed. The youngest (8 at the time) was questioning it, but I would not confirm it. He found out about the tooth fairy this fall when he lost a tooth and made a point of NOT telling me & the tooth remained, day after day.

Now... he does know about Santa, but they are making a point not to talk about it as the middle child said "since there is not Santa what is the point in the stockings?" I responded with you can choose to believe or not, if you don't believe than you may find your stocking the only empty one on Christmas morn. He then responded "I do believe in Santa, I do believe in Santa, I do believe in Santa". No further discussion on that ensued (sure, they do know, but we will keep it going for the fun of it).