Wednesday, March 04, 2009

WFMW: Are We There Yet?





If you would like to participate in Works-For-Me Wednesday, please go here.


This weeks theme is "greatest hits". Well this is still one of my favorite tips for "on the road". This could work for a day of running errands or long road trips!

Some may already know of this but if you don't this is a great way to keep kids entertained on a long trip. I take zip lock bags and put not only snacks for the trip but small toys, games, books all in their own bags. The trick is to buy small "travel" type games and toys (I am talking C.H.E.A.P. - like from the Everything's A Dollar Store) and keep them in a bag up front with you and not let the kids see them "at all" until it is time to pass them out. Then everytime they start to get fussy you pull out something "new". I have even done this with toys out of my daughter's room that she didn't know I brought. The reason it works so well is because if you give them everything all at once they get "bored". If you give them things "they don't even know you have" spread out through the trip they will play longer with each toy instead of the usual, "Are we there yet?" after five minutes. I am sure this works with kids of all ages but it really worked very well when my daughter was younger and just she and I would make long trips to visit family, etc.

1 comment:

Tee said...

Thanks for visiting me the other day. I really enjoyed reading your recent posts too. I've been to about half the places on your visit list - Vegas is my absolute favorite. I highly recommend it! Hubby and I went on a cruise to Alaska for our 10th anniversary in '99. That was awesome too, even though it rained every day.

Have a blessed day!
Tee