Monday, December 04, 2006

Preach On Sister!!

Wow Traci, your last post “1 Year Ago” got me teary eyed, too! You are so right! I weighed the other morning and I am 261 (4 pounds less than I thought I was a couple of days ago BUT 3 pounds heavier than I was when we started this thing a year ago!) The bad thing is – we BOTH lost weight but here we are again right back at it. Why are we programmed this way? Why do we get aggravated when we see people doing other things (drinking, smoking, gambling, etc.) when the truth of the matter is we are hurting ourselves just as much by eating. Like we always say though – it does through in the curve ball. EVERYONE has to have food for nutritional purposes. You just can’t quit eating like you can quit smoking, etc. We just need to figure out WHY we eat like we do. We need to start learning to “eat to live” and NOT “live to eat”. They way I figure it if we keep on like we are doing – even if it is gaining a few pounds a year I will be pushing 300lbs in the next 5 or 10 years and you will be in the 250 to 275 range. Is that what we want? NO! We don’t even want to be where we are so we just have to STOP NOW!!!

I came across this website that said these days what some calculators and charts consider to be “ideal weight” is not actually true and it is outdated information. I am not sure of your height but I did it based on 5 ft 5 inches.

Traci: 5’5” @ 224
Based on this information your ideal weight is 161
Medically Recommended: 114 to 150

Tiffany: 5’5” @ 261
Based on this information my ideal weight is 172
Medically Recommended: 114 to 150

If you take each of our weights and use the highest medically recommended weight (150) you are 74 pounds over and I am 111 pounds over. You are considered morbidly obese when you are at least 100 pounds over this weight. I am over by 11 pounds and you are only 26 pounds away. MORBIDLY obese. Just in case we have forgotten this is the definition of “morbid”:

mor·bid –adjective

1.suggesting an unhealthy mental state or attitude; unwholesomely gloomy, sensitive, extreme, etc.: a morbid interest in death.

2.affected by, caused by, causing, or characteristic of disease.

3.pertaining to diseased parts: morbid anatomy.

4.gruesome; grisly.

Did you get that? The ones that stood out the most to me were “unhealthy mental state or attitude” and “gruesome; grisly”. In every day life would we want someone to call us this? No. So why is it okay when it comes to our weight?

I remember one time when I was probably in junior high me and one of my friends went to a local water park with her parents. My friend and I were sitting around with some people from another school (that didn’t know my friend and her family) and my friends parents walked by and her dad was very overweight. One of the other girls made a comment “That is just wrong. They should let people like that in here.” My friend never said anything and neither did I but the hurt and embarrassment was written all over her face! I will never forget that. I don’t want my daughter to have to EVER deal with that. Most importantly I don’t want to have to deal with the side effects and diseases my weight has and will cause me! Why would I want to do that to myself??

We can do this and we will do this!! This will be a brand new day for sure! I know we haven’t stuck to our diets or even this blog like we should but just imagine if we didn’t have this blog at all…we might not even be having the reality check we are having now. We could hide the fact that we have tried so long…but with this blog we can’t. We need this and we need each other. We have said this a hundred times but I mean it this time….WE CAN do this!!!

No comments: