Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Counting Calories vs. Counting Points

As I’ve mentioned I’ve struggled with whether or not I should keep counting points or if I should switch to counting calories. I lost more weight and lost it more quickly when I was counting calories. On WW I’m losing about a pound a week; I lost closer to 2-3 a week when I was counting calories. So, yesterday I tracked both points and calories. When I was counting calories, I was allowing 1200-1300 a day. With WW, I’m allowed 27 points. I ended the day at 1330 calories and only 22 of my allowed points. If I had been counting just points, I would have eaten the 5 additional points that I’m allowed - that would have resulted in about 300 more calories for a total of 1600! I’ve been tracking both today too…so far I’m at 615 calories and only 11 points. I only have 650 calories left, yet I have 16 points left… based on an average of 55 calories per point, I would normally eat another 880 calories. So in light of this, I’m going to go back to counting calories. It’s easier anyway because I don’t have to mess with calculating anything. I think WW works, I mean it’s basically the same concept except you get “credit” for eating more fiber and eating less fat. I guess I could just cut my points back to 22… but I figure why bother when the calorie counting is easier to keep track of. We’ll see what my weight looks like at next week’s weigh-in. I haven’t lost any weight in the last 2 weeks on WW, so I’m setting my target weight loss goal at 3 lbs for next week. Should be interesting considering I’ll be on vacation for 6 of those days. I’m going to have to work really hard to stay on course.

Happy losing!


BTW, starting tonight I will begin posting my daily intake again.

1 comment:

Tiff said...

I am with you...do works for you and do what is easiest! When something seems almost like a "chore" it is hard to stick to it. If you think you will do better just counting calories versus WW go for it!