Thursday, March 11, 2004

Heart Attack...Nearly

Brian, my husband, has just nearly made me have a heart attack. He calls me and said Mark, his USCG recruiter, just offered him a position to go to Iraq. He told Brian that it would be more pay and he could get through school quicker. Basically, he would go to boot camp for two months, come home for a couple of weeks, go to school for nine weeks and then ship off to Iraq for 8 months! Ummm....hello.....I don't even know how I am going to make it for two months! I can't imagine going almost a year without seeing him! He, of course, turned it down for now and said he would consider it next year. (Yikes!) The reality of all of this is ......... there is ALWAYS a possibility of him having to go.......not just on a volunteer basis but because they make him. That will always weigh heavy in the back of my mind. I just have to remember that this is what he wants to do and I am VERY proud of him. It seems scary but I have to compare it to this.....would you really go to medical school and then never even practice medicine or deal with patients? More than likely you wouldn't so what he wants to do is protect his country so why get a job doing that and worry the whole time that you might actually have to do it?

No comments: