Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Meds Update

If I’ve already told you all this, I apologize… I don’t think I have though. As you know I was taking Phentermine several months ago and I also took it for 2 months in late ’05. Well I went to the doctor a few weeks ago because I was feeling exhausted, achy, unmotivated and I was having some chest pain too. She discovered that I had a heart murmur. They did a bunch of lab tests as well and everything came back normal. I had to go for and echocardiogram to determine the extent of the murmur. I go back this Friday to discuss. She told me to stop taking the Phen until we figured out what was going on. She didn’t say that the Phen caused the murmur, but I have my suspicions. I didn’t have a heart murmur before I took it (I had a complete check-up before I ever started it) but I do now that I’ve taken it for a little less than 3 months in total. 12 weeks is what the FDA approves. I liked taking it; I was never hungry and I had tons of energy. It was so easy to eat well. I’ve been thinking about other alternatives and then I stumbled upon an article in this week’s “Woman’s World”. It’s about diet pills and it compares the different ones. It also speaks to OTC options. It had some really good info, so I thought I’d share just a little of it here.

Phentermine
– hits the brain’s appetite center and greatly reduces hunger, not the same as the killer Fen-Phen (although it did contain Phentermine, the Fen part was the deadly one), approved since 1959, approved for 12 weeks of use and should not be used by patients with heart or anxiety problems!!

Meridia – boost brains chemicals that extend satiety, approved since 1997, great if you struggle with portion control, doesn’t eliminate the urge to eat completely but that’s a good thing because it lets you develop skills to stay slim after you stop taking the meds, should not be used by patients with sleep or blood pressure problems.

Xenical – disables key enzymes and keeps 33% of fat calories from being absorbed, studies show people that took it lost 93% more weight than those that didn’t, approved since 1999, besides blocking fat calories; it gives you a stomach ache if you eat too much fatty food therefore encouraging you to avoid it which cuts calories even more, great if fatty foods are you’re weakness or if you have a health condition that keeps you from being able to take other diet pills.

Chromium Picollinate (OTC vitamin) – helps control a hormone that causes cravings and belly fat, the supplement most linked to lower levels of body fat, 400 mcg daily can eliminate intense sugar and carb cravings, especially beneficial for patients with big middles, up to 800 mcg daily is considered safe but check with your Dr. first

Calcium – (OTC vitamin)
– stimulates the release of fat from cells, latest data shows that exercise burns 30% more fat in patients who get extra calcium, for maximum fat loss get 1200 mcg of calcium (from supplements or low fat dairy) and keep your total calories around 1200 a day.

So I guess I’ll add CP and Calcium to my shopping list.

No comments: